(Serves 8-10 / 30 tamales)
6 poblano peppers
2 lbs fresh masa dough OR 3 cups masa harina mixed with 2 cups water or chicken stock and allowed to rest covered for 15 minutes
1/2 lb lard or vegetable shortening, room temperature
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chicken stock
1 lb El Mexicano® Oaxaca cheese, shredded
3 dozen corn husks soaked in water for at least 1 hour
El Mexicano® Crema Mexicana or Crema Oaxaqueña
1. Beat the lard, salt and, baking powder with an electric mixer on medium high until light and whipped.
2. Add masa in 3 additions and thoroughly beat to incorporate. Add chicken broth and beat again.
3. Cover and refrigerate for an hour. Remove from the fridge and beat again.
4. While the Masa is resting in the fridge roast the poblano peppers directly on the burner or on a sheet tray under the broiler.
5. Roast until the skin is charred and black. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
6. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to loosen the skins and when cool enough use a paper towel or your hands to remove the outer skins.
7. Next deseed and slice the poblanos into 1/4 inch long strips that are about 3 inches long.
8. To make tamales spoon 2-3 Tbsp masa dough into a rectangle in the center of each husk leaving a 1 inch border all around the husk.
9. Place a few strips of roasted pepper and shredded El Mexicano® Oaxaca cheese.
10. To enclose fold the sides of the husk in around the filling then bring the bottom of top of husk up and over.
11. Secure by tying a strip of husk from one of the other husks around the tamale.
12. Repeat the process with the rest of the husks and filling.
13. When finished fill a large pot with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
14. Place a steamer basket in the pot above the water level.
15. Place the tamales upright in the steamer basket.
16. Cover with the pot lid and steam for about 1 hour until the masa filling pulls easily away form the husk.
17. Remove and allow to rest for 15 minutes or so.
18. Serve tamales with your choice of El Mexicano® Crema Mexicana or Crema Oaxaqueña and your favorite salsa.
See full recipe video: CHEESE TAMALES WITH CREMA