Lent is a week away and we are getting ready for the season with some delicious recipes, like this one created by our brand ambassador, Laura Muller (www.lasrecetasdelaura.com). A lighter & healthier version of Chiles Rellenos topped off with melted queso Oaxaca and a special Crema Casera sauce for a delightful taste!
See full recipe video here
Check out this “Chiles Rellenos de Queso y Camarones“ recipe using our delicious gluten-free queso fresco Casero® for the filling and queso Oaxaca/Mozzarella and Crema Casera El Mexicano® for the topping, perfect to enjoy with friends and family during this Lent season!
CHILES RELLENOS with CHEESE & SHRIMP
4 Poblano Chile Peppers
1 lb Shrimp
1 can of Corn kernels
3 tbsp Onion, chopped
2 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
1 cup Skim milk
Salt to taste
- In a bowl, add the Crema Casera with skim milk, corn and add 2 pinches of salt and mix to create a cream sauce.
- In a frying pan, place a little water with a pinch of salt, add the garlic, onion and shrimp and stir until thoroughly cooked.
- Char the peppers. Turn a gas burner on high and place the chiles on the burner grate, turning with tongs until all sides are blackened. Transfer the chiles to a plastic bag and let them steam in the bag for a few minutes. Then remove the skin from the chile. Make a slit starting from below the stem of the chile through the tip of it. Then open the chile (like a book) and carefully remove the seeds.
- Slice the queso fresco Casero® into strips.
- Stuff the chiles with strips of cheese and shrimp and fold on the sides to cover the filling.
- In a baking dish, add the cream sauce and place the stuffed chile peppers carefully over the sauce with the closed slit facing down. Once all chile peppers have been placed on baking dish, add more cream sauce over them.
- Add Queso Oaxaca or Mozzarrella over the chiles. You may add extra shrimp to the sauce (optional).
- Heat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in oven for 20 minutes (you may also place in the microwave for 20 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you know that El Mexicano® dairy products are certified gluten-free and made with clean simple ingredients like natural sea salt and grade A milk from cows who have NOT been treated with hormones? They make the perfect complement to any recipe ????