Welcome December! ‘Tis the season to indulge in traditional holiday comfort food 🙂
We are so excited to share some savory new recipes with you this month. One of our fave comfort food during the holidays are TAMALES! They are rich in flavor, very filling, tasty and the best part about them is that you can get as creative as you want. Also, they make great holiday gifts for family, friends and co-workers.
Here we have this easy and healthy version that Laura Muller created using our delicious, healthy, fresh and authentic cheeses (Queso Fresco Casero® and Queso Fresco Cremoso®) and cream (Crema Casera®). What I love about this recipe is that Laura shows us how to integrate our daily dose of greens into our diet by mixing it into the masa for the tamales. This helps us keep our balance and indulge without guilt 😉
Check out the recipe below and her step by step video here: Las Recetas de Laura
Green Chard Tamales stuffed with Roasted Poblano & Queso
2 lbs (1kg) Corn flour
6 Jalapeño peppers
4 Poblano peppers
4 cups Chicken broth
2 tbsps Salt
1 bunch Green chard
3 bars Butter
1 ½ tbsps Baking powder
Dried Corn husks
1. Remove the stems from the green chard and thoroughly wash them
2. Place the green chard in boiling water
3. Mix 6 cups of corn flour with salt and baking powder
4. Add the chicken broth to the cooked green chard
5. Add 2-3 bars of butter in the hot broth
6. Add this mixture to the dough and mix (if you’d like a softer consistency for the dough, you may add more chicken broth)
7. Add to the dough toasted poblano peppers finely chopped in squares
8. Spread the dough out on the corn husk. (To soften the corn husks, you may soak them in warm water first). For thicker tamales, add more dough. The amount of dough to add will depend on the tamal thickness you desire.
9. Place a strip of queso fresco Cremoso or Casero® and jalapeño pepper into the center (add jalapeño peppers to taste depending on how spicy you’d like it)
10. Fold the sides of the husk in towards the center and place in a steamer. Place more corn husks on top of your tamales to seal the heat
11. Steam for about 45 minutes
12. Remove tamales from husks, serve and top with El Mexicano® Crema Casera.
We would love for you to share with us what your favorite tamale filling is 🙂 Don’t forget to tag us on social media @elmexicanobrand and #AuthenticSabor so we can see your creations using our authentic products during the holidays!