Pumpkins are in season and I’ve got the perfect, quick & easy healthy appetizer or meal idea for you! These quesadillas are sure to make your taste buds happy! It is probably not your typical fall recipe when you think about pumpkin, but hey, there’s no rules here when it comes to cooking, it’s all about getting creative and finding recipes that fit with your lifestyle right?!
Whether you are following a vegetarian diet or just looking for a delicious healthy recipe, I totally recommend you trying this one out during the holidays.
Pumpkin Quesadilla (serves 4)
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin or pumpkin puree
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ white onion, diced
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- 2 ounces queso Oaxaca El Mexicano®
- 2 ounces queso fresco Casero El Mexicano®
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Optional: for a healthier version substitute flour tortilla for a gluten-free tortilla instead
- In bowl, stir pumpkin, cumin, garlic, sea salt and pepper to combine and set aside.
- In small skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat and sauté the onions.
- In another large skillet, coat lightly with 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and warm tortillas gently on either side. Repeat with both tortillas. Once tortillas are warmed, remove from heat.
- Spread pumpkin mixture, onions and peppers over 1 tortilla. Then sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining tortilla.
- In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil over medium-low. Cook quesadillas 1 at a time, turning once or until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes.
- When nice and golden brown on each side and cheese has melted perfectly, cut into wedges or quarters and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, enjoy hot!
Tip: Want to make this an even healthier and tastier meal? Try adding some sautéed or steamed kale and/or spinach inside and Crema Oaxaqueña on top for added flavor!
Leave a Comment